PUPPY LOVE

It has been many years since my last stint as a puppy’s human.  I have had dogs that were rescues off and on through the years, but no puppies for a very long time.  My two big doggy loves up until now were Sophie and Mila, the two rescues that got me through the loss of my husband back in 2012.  They now live with my son, Joshua in Germantown.

Although Sophie and Mila were hugely instrumental in mine and Ally’s recovery from such a huge loss, somewhere along the way, I forgot how important and reassuring the companionship of a pet can be.  That’s where Gracie comes in.  A gift from my husbands friends in Michigan to aid with his recovery from pancreatic cancer, this little gem is named Gracie Jane.  She is a designer hybrid between an Irish Setter father and a Golden Retriever mother.

Here’s the thing.  I realize she is technically Tim’s dog, but there is something about her that draws me in closer day by day.  Perhaps is the way she looks at me without an ounce of judgement when I have a day like yesterday where I wanted to punch kittens and trip old people at the grocery.  Maybe it’s the way she tucks her nose into my armpit when she is snuggling me in the sun room.  On second thought, that part might be from me not showering as often as I should since I’ve been taking care of Tim.  So we won’t count that one because we all know doggies love smelly things.

I have a sneaking suspicion, it’s that unconditional love thing my husband tears up about when he speaks about his Sandy from days gone by.  Sandy got Tim through a very difficult time in his life and no matter what was going on around him, when he got home from work, Sandy was there to love and delight without rhyme or reason and that’s what Gracie does for me.  No matter what Murhpy’s Law throws at me throughout the day, those big brown eyes and curly tail have super ninja skills that show up out of nowhere to cut the bad stuff off at the pass.

We were so rushed yesterday getting ready for the oncology visit, that I didn’t take time to meditate and spend some quiet time contemplating the goodness of God.  And I certainly didn’t have any time to spare for Gracie Jane yesterday.  But I would almost bet cash money and two tickets to the Mid-South Fair, that had I spent even just a little bit of time doing either one, my post from yesterday might have turned out just a little bit differently than it did.

7 thoughts on “PUPPY LOVE

• January 19, 2018 at 4:37 am

It looks like she is doing her job.

• January 19, 2018 at 1:20 pm

They grab our hearts and make life berable, when I pass my dream is that I will rejoin my buddies. Proud dog parents of pups Jake and Elwood at seventy-six and seventy-three we make arrangements for our buddies if something happened. Could not exist without having buddies for our fifty years of marriage.

• January 19, 2018 at 10:43 am

I have only spent 6 months out of my whole life without a dog. We have 3 now. I totally get it. ❤️

• January 19, 2018 at 12:08 pm

I love reading your writings. Most of all I love you❤️

• January 21, 2018 at 3:13 am

I love you dear friend and I love your blog posts…I read every one…you truly are a gifted writer!! Someday, when you become famous, I’d like autographed copies of all of your books!!

• January 22, 2018 at 10:17 pm

Hello Denise

You don’t know me, but Tim knows me. I have been notified of how ill Tim is, and wanted you to know that I have been praying for both of you. I want to say, I admire your strength and faith as I read each blog you have written. I am so glad he met you and hope & pray he can kick this so that you 2 can enjoy a long life together. As I was sitting in church this weekend, I couldn’t help but be intrigued on how I thought this message might be an inspiration to you 2.

Please let Tim know I said hello….also wanted to tell him I am now about 2 miles from his old stomping grounds….his old sub was 5 & Haggerty….I am now 5 & Newburgh…go shopping all of the time around where he grew up…my husband has been such and inspiration to me & I am hoping you guys enjoy the life I am enjoying now as well…..thoughts & prayers are with you more than you think…..hang in there, Tim…you can beat this! You were an inspiration to me when things were so difficult ….never thought I would be where I am today….thanks

• January 23, 2018 at 12:51 am

Thank you, Nadine. I read your post to Tim. We appreciate you thinking of us. Please continue to keep us in your prayers. We are fighting hard and have no intentions of giving up.

Comments are closed.